Mushroom risotto with basil pesto.
Creamy mushroom risotto .. yum! This recipe can easily be adjusted to suit vegans or vegetarians.
2 cups arborio rice
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 large onion diced
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine
4.5 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup cream ( cream of your choice you can use cashew, soy although I find coconut doesn't work to well.
50g cheese ( of your choice)
2 tablespoons pesto.
Salt and pepper
1. Peel and fine dice the onion.
2. Peel the garlic and crush each clove.
3. Dice the mushrooms to medium size.
4.Heat a large deep pan to medium heat. Add two tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
5. Add the garlic and onions and cook until translucent.
6.Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until soft.
7. Pour in half a cup of white wine allow the wine to reduce by half. Reduce the heat to a low heat.
8. Add the 2 cups of arborio rice to the pan and stir. Allow the arborio rice to soak up the remaining wine. Once the arborio rice has absorbed the wine add one cup of stock to the pan at a time. Ensuring to stir often. As soon as each cup of liquid is absorbed its time to add another. This may take some time approx 15mins (but let's face it we all have a bit of time on our hands now).
Taste the rice after the last of the stock has been added if it needs more add it. Little by little.
When your satisfied the rice is soft taste it again and season with salt and pepper ( being cautious the stock may have added enough salt.
Remove from the heat.
Stir in the half cup of cream of your choice and the cheese.
Serve with a generous spoonful of pesto on top.